Subpoenas Issued to Price Gouging Stations
Yesterday, Attorney General Bill McCollum issued subpoenas to Flying J, Dodge's Stores, Valero and Pilot Travel Centers for price gouging. All four companies have stations in the Tampa Bay area. Broward, Dade and Fort Lauderdale counties are also being examined for rampant increases in fuel prices.
The state is reviewing 20 more complaints from Hillsborough County residents and about 20 from Pinellas County residents, according to the Tampa Tribune. By Sunday, there were 549 complaints across the state that warranted investigation, and even more complaints that did not warrant investigation.
At one Flying J on SR 52, the gas was $3.69 a gallon Friday afternoon - and had increased to $4.57 by 6:00 am Saturday.
Florida has an anti-price gouging law that goes into effect when the governor declares a state of emergency. Governor Charlie Crist had declared an emergency because it was thought that Ike was going to hit Florida. The anti-price gouging law is still in effect as of today.
Some stations dropped their prices after being called by the Attorney General, but if the higher price cannot be justified, dropping the price does not get them off the hook. Generally, motorists are out of the money they spent if they bought gas at the inflated prices.
For information about this article contact the Broward Criminal Lawyers at William Moore Criminal Defense.
Related Articles & Posts
- Price Ranges
- Drivin’ that Train … High on Cocaine…
- DUI: Can Benadryl and Alcohol Create a Cumulative Effect?
- FLORIDA INMATES ISSUED PECULIAR PLAYING CARDS.
- Broward DUI Lawyer – DUI Rises in Palm Beach County, Decreases Across State
- Cities Served
- Increased Arrests a Deterrent for DUI Offenders?
- Intoxilyzer 8000
- Teen Arrested for DUI Manslaughter in Boynton Beach, Florida
- The Death Penalty & Cruel and Unusual Punishment
Criminal Defense Hotline: (954) 523-5333
Speak to a veteran 20 year career criminal lawyer from our Law Firm right here in Broward County.
Any Day/Any Hour, No Waiting, No Consultation Fee
Additional crime topics
- DUI Defense
- Finding the "Best DUI Lawyer in Broward County"
- DUI in Florida
- Florida DUI Law
- What are the penalties for a DUI conviction?
- DUI Practice & Procedure
- Where are Florida DUI Checkpoints?
- Florida DUI Facts
- Defending DUI is Complex
- Repeat DUI
- Self-Representation - Public Defenders
- Challenging Breath Test Results
- Our Broward County DUI Defense Book
- Crime of Fraud
- Disorderly Conduct
- Criminal Mischief
- Shoplifting Lawyers
- Common Criminal Charges
- Grand Theft Auto
- Assault and Battery
- Domestic Battery
- Juvenile Delinquency
- Court Hearings & Motions
- Pre-Trial Motions & Criminal Trial
- Pre-Trial Motions Criminal Law Question & Answer by our Fort Lauderdale Lawyers
- After the Arrest
- Setting a Bond Hearing
- Miranda Rights
- The Officer Didn't Read Me My Rights
- How is a Motion to Suppress Used by the Defense?
- Identification Evidence
- Voice Identification
- Fingerprint Evidence
- Double Jeopardy
- Jurisdiction Limitations of Police Officers
- Plea Agreements in Florida
- Plea Deals
- Violation of Probation